Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Brief Comment on Truth

My older daughter has finished her latest virtual high school course; it was in grade 11 Chemistry. We had to arrange a proctor; my neighbour, who happens to be a software engineer and works from home, did the job. He had to submit a form saying he was the proctor and the school telephoned to confirm his observation of my daughter writing the test. We had no problem with this...but, and this is what bothers me about the way schools currently work, so what if my daughter had written the test without his observation? If it's a question of honesty, who would she be cheating most if she did not know the material?

As part of our daughters' method of education, we don't grade by any means; if any of them have trouble with material, my husband or I help them or they find assistance on line. If they are supposed to "know" material for a particular course, and we are Classical educators in a way, they have to know the material. A passing grade does not mean anything; we figure knowledge is cumulative; so, if you do not know 'a,' chances are 'a+b' is going to be harder to understand.

We had an issue with my youngest copying the answers for her math out of the back section, the answer section, of the book. At first, I was so impressed with her ability to just know the answers, I completely overlooked the fact my daughter, a bright, intelligent child, was not a math prodigy. After a while, obviously, I clued in; my husband and I decided to treat her as a prodigy and see what would happen--we told her we were signing her up for a gifted math test because we were not able to teach someone of her calibre. She freaked...and told us the truth and that was the end of it. One has to practise math to know it...easiest way to learn it is to practise it...easiest way to catch a cheater is to act as if they know the material and can respond to any question.

And, this fact brings me back to the point of the material for a grade 11 Chemistry Course; once a student is familiar with the material at one level, they should be prepared for the next level. A problem exists if they aren't and no amount of testing is going to disclose such a problem if a student cheats. Call it honour, if you want, but, really, if a student wants to be a Chemical Engineer and cheats on Chemistry exams, their wishes are self-defeating. One would think that if the interest is supposed to be in Chemistry, a student would want to know the material. If a student is only trying to meet a Grade Point Average; such behaviour only reveals the irrelevancy of the G.P.A.; some students get the information and, for whatever reason, can't write exams; some students get the grades but have no concept of the topic.

This brings us back to the virtual school. The teachers, thus far, have been excellent; they are interested in their topics and wildly enthusiastic about sharing it. But, it is a school and certain restrictions apply ie testing; it is sad, really, that administrators have to verify honest behaviour for exams. It is sad, really, they have to monitor students who apparently choose to take Academic Science Courses. I don't know if my children want to go to University; but, they have been raised to keep their options open and if they want to go, fine; if one of them wants to be a plumber, equally fine; if one of them wants to be a beach bum surfing all year for the rest of their lives, I probably won't be happy but still fine. And, if one of them wants to cheat on a Chemistry Exam, I would wonder why they are taking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment